The City of St. John’s offers garbage pick-up every week, recycling pick-up every second week, and from May to November yard waste pick-up on the same day as recycling.
We use a Fixed Day Collection Schedule. This means your garbage is picked up on the same day of the week, every week, and your recycling/ yard waste on the same day, every second week. In the event of a holiday, Check here for your schedule.
NEW Starting March 1, 2021 a maximum of 4 regular garbage bags per household can be put at the curb each collection day. This is the same as fits in garbage carts so there is no change for those areas.
The City has split recycling collection in two halves – A & B. To find out if you are in Area A or B for recycling collection please Check Here or call Access St. John’s at 311 or 754-CITY (2489).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Collection calendars are in the City Guide mailed to residents four times a year. If you have misplaced your calendar get one here or call Access St. John’s.
Residents can also bring their garbage to the Residential Drop-Off at Robin Hood Bay.
If you are a business located on an existing collection route in St. John’s, you can use the curbside collection service provided to residents as long as you follow the same rules and regulations.
IMPORTANT: Many businesses hire private contractors to collect their waste, rather than avail of the City’s curbside service, who require a valid waste disposal permit and are subject to the appropriate tipping fees at the Robin Hood Bay Waste Management Facility.
Collection Rules and Regulations
- Residents given a City-issued garbage cart must use it for curbside collection. All garbage must fit in the cart, with the lid closed. For more information on Automated Garbage Collection click here.
- Residents without a City-issued cart put garbage at the curb in regular-size garbage bags.
- NEW Starting March 1, 2021 a maximum of 4 regular garbage bags per household can be put at the curb each collection day. This is the same as fits in garbage carts so there is no change for those areas.
- Starting January 1, 2022 residents must use transparent and colourless regular garbage bags with the exception of 1 regular garbage privacy bag.
- Place your cart/bags at the curb, at the end of your driveway, or just off the road at the shoulder. See proper garbage cart placement.
- Bagged garbage must be covered with a bin or net from April to November.
- Garbage cart top lid must be completely closed and the arrows pointing to the road.
- Blue recycling bags and paper yard waste bags must be at the curb at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from garbage carts.
Additional Tips and Rules for all Curbside Garbage Collection
- To sign up for reminders, or download the St. John’s Waste APP
- Garbage, recycling and yard waste can be put at the curb no earlier than 6 a.m. and no later than 8 a.m. on collection day.
- Garbage carts, bins and/or nets must be removed from the curb by 8 p.m. on collection day.
- Waste cannot be placed at the curb so that it prevents snow or sidewalk clearing or street cleaning.
- Hypodermic Needles
- Use a proper sharps disposable container which are available at pharmacies. Sharps must be placed in the container and returned to the pharmacy for proper disposal. Never place needles in the garbage.
- Each bag must weigh less than 50 pounds.
- Sharp objects must be placed in a puncture proof container prior to placing in the garbage.
- Broken glass must be boxed and clearly marked and placed to prevent the glass from sticking out of the container.
- Do not place carts or bags behind or on snowbanks. Make sure your waste is clearly visible and accessible.
- Containers of liquid will not be collected.
- Ensure your waste container is clean.
- When using a non-City issued garbage cart/bin for your waste, weigh it down so it does not blow around once emptied. The lid/cover should be tied to the main body of the container.
For the complete St. John’s Sanitation Regulations By-Law click here.