Automated Garbage Collection
What Is Automated Garbage Collection?
Automated garbage collection consists of specially designed wheeled carts, and collection vehicles equipped with articulated arms. A single operator picks up and dumps the carts by controlling the articulated arm from the truck cab.
Phase One was implemented in 2018. Phase Two cart delivery begins in May 2019 and will take 4-6 weeks to complete. Start using your cart as soon as you receive it.
Residents should read all the instructions, rules and FAQs detailed in the Automated Garbage Guide attached to their carts or Click Here to read the Guide.
Important Note: Recycling and yard waste collection remains unchanged and must be placed at the curb at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from the garbage cart.
Write Your Street Address on Your Cart(s)
When you receive your cart please take a moment to write your address on both sides of the cart using permanent marker. All the carts look the same, having the address on the cart will make it easy for you, your neighbor and city staff to find the proper address for the cart if it goes missing from the property. Though your cart is provided by the City at no additional cost, if you damage or lose your cart replacements will be charged at full-cost recovery.
Lost, Stolen, Found or Damaged Carts
- Lost, stolen carts or damaged carts can be replaced for $65.00 per cart and $25.00 for delivery (taxes in). Arrangements can be made for you to pick-up your replacement cart
- Lid and wheel replacements cost $17.00 and $8.00 each, respectively (taxes in)
- To report a cart that has been lost, stolen, or found call Access St. John’s at 311, or 754-2489, or Click Here
Are you in an Automated Garbage Collection Area?
To check if your address is in an automated garbage collection area Click Here.
Exemptions From Automated Garbage
Residents who have concerns about their ability to maneuver their cart to the collection point can apply for an Exemption from Automated Garbage. To apply Click Here.
About The Carts
- They hold approximately 4 regular garbage bags
- Each cart will have a radio (RFID) tag and individual serial numbers to identify the household to which the cart belongs
- Residents who move will leave their cart behind as each cart is assigned to a property – not a person
- Must write their address on the cart in the space provided
- Must use a City-issued cart for garbage collection and place it properly for collection
- Must keep their cart clean and secure
Placing Your Cart
To learn more about how to place your cart watch this Video.
- Place your cart between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. Carts must be removed by 8 p.m
- Improperly placed carts will not be collected. Garbage placed outside the cart will not be collected
- All regular household garbage must be in bags and placed in the cart with the lid completely closed
- In the winter, do not place carts behind or on top of snow banks
- Leave at least one metre (3 feet) of clearance between the cart and any obstacles
Click Here for the FAQ’s about Automated Garbage Collection