Automated Garbage Collection
What Is Automated Garbage Collection?
Automated garbage collection consists of specially designed wheeled carts, and collection vehicles equipped with articulated arms. A single operator picks up and dumps the carts by controlling the articulated arm from the truck cab.
Automated garbage collection was implemented in two phases. Phase One was completed in 2018 and Phase Two was completed in 2019.
Residents should read all the instructions, rules and FAQs detailed in the Automated Garbage Guide attached to their carts or Click Here to read the Guide.
Important Note: Recycling and yard waste bags must be placed at the curb at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from the garbage cart.
Write Your Street Address on Your Cart(s)
When you receive your cart please take a moment to write your address on both sides of the cart using permanent marker. All the carts look the same, having the address on the cart will make it easy for you, your neighbor and city staff to find the proper address for the cart if it goes missing from the property. Though your cart is provided by the City at no additional cost, if you damage or lose your cart replacements will be charged at full-cost recovery.
Important Note: Wear due to weather means you may need to periodically re-write your address on both sides of the cart using a permanent marker.
Missing, Damaged, or Found Carts
For information on what to do if your cart is missing, damaged, or if you have found a cart click here.
Are you in an Automated Garbage Collection Area?
To check if your address is in an automated garbage collection area Click Here.
Get our APP Here or sign up for Reminders of your recycling and garbage days, and so you get notified if collection has been postponed or cancelled. To get your Reminder set up you can call 311 (or 754-2489), or Click Here to go to our Schedules page where you can choose the “Get a reminder” tab to set it up.
Exemptions From Automated Garbage
Residents who have concerns about their ability to maneuver their cart to the collection point can apply for an Exemption from Automated Garbage. To apply Click Here.
About The Carts
- They hold approximately 4 regular garbage bags
- Each cart will have a radio (RFID) tag and individual serial numbers to identify the household to which the cart belongs
- Residents who move will leave their cart behind as each cart is assigned to a property – not a person
- Must write their address on the cart in the space provided
- Must use a City-issued cart for garbage collection and place it properly for collection
- Must keep their cart clean and secure
Placing Your Cart
To learn more about how to place your cart watch this Video.
- Place your cart between the hours of 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. Carts must be removed by 8 p.m
- Improperly placed carts will not be collected. Garbage placed outside the cart will not be collected
- All regular household garbage must be in bags and placed in the cart with the lid completely closed
- In the winter, do not place carts behind or on top of snow banks
- Leave at least one metre (3 feet) of clearance between the cart and any obstacles
If you already have a bin you can use it for storing your recycling. Recycling decals are available for your old bin. To request a decal email email@example.com or call 311.
Click Here for other FAQ’s about Automated Garbage Collection.