Automated Garbage Collection
What Is Automated Garbage Collection?
Automated garbage collection consists of specially designed wheeled carts, and collection vehicles equipped with articulated arms. Residents place these carts at the curb and a single operator picks up and dumps the carts using an articulated arm controlled from the truck cab. The carts are used for garbage collection only.
For a guide on Automated Garbage Collection click here.
Important Note: Recycling collection remains unchanged and must be placed at the curb at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from the garbage cart.
Are You In Phase 1?
To find out if you are in Phase 1 of the Automated Garbage Collection Program simply enter your address in your schedule look-up by clicking here. Don’t forget to sign-up for “Reminders” or to download our APP.
For a map of addresses included in Phase 1 of Automated garbage Collection click here. Addresses which are highlighted on the map are included in Phase 1.
About The Carts
- They will hold 4 regular sized garbage bags,
- Recycling and Yard Waste bags do not go in the cart, they must be placed outside of the cart. Only garbage bags go in the cart,
- Each cart will have a radio (RFID) tag and individual serial numbers to identify the household to which the cart belongs. Residents who move must leave their cart behind as each cart is assigned to a property – not a person.
- The carts are supplied to participating households at no additional charge.
Lost, Stolen, or Found Carts
- If lost or stolen, residents will be charged the full recovery cost of $65.00 for the cart and $25.00 for delivery if needed.
- To report a cart that has been lost, stolen or found call Access St. John’s at 311 or 754-CITY (2489) or click here.
- Use the City issued cart for their garbage collection,
- Write their address on the cart in the white space provided on both sides of the cart,
- Keep their cart clean,
- Keep their cart secure,
- Place cart properly for collection,
- Carts must remain with the assigned property – not a person.
Placing Your Cart For Collection
The type of street you live on will dictate where you should place your Automated Garbage Cart. Carts must not be placed on any part of the sidewalk because it obstructs pedestrians, strollers, wheelchairs, scooters, sidewalk ploughs, etc.
- If on street parking is permitted in front of your house, you must place your cart on the street in front of your driveway with the rubber wheels backed into the curb so that the arrows on the cart lid are pointing toward the street.
- If there is no on street parking permitted in front of your house, you must place your cart at the end of your driveway so that the arrows on the lid are pointing toward the street.
- If you do not have a curb in front of your house, you must place your cart off the road on the shoulder so that the arrows on the lid are pointing toward the street.
- In the winter:
- Please make sure they are clearly visible and accessible.
- Do not place carts behind or on top of snow banks.
Important Note: Leave at least one metre (3 feet) of clearance between the cart or carts and any obstacles such as parked cars, poles, trees, recycling and yard waste bags, etc. Improperly placed carts will not be collected.
To learn how and where to place your cart on Garbage Day watch this Video.
The City of St. John’s will exempt residents who have difficulty maneuvering a cart to the regular collection point from using the garbage carts for curbside collection. To apply for an exemption click here.