Backyard Composting Sessions for St. John’s Residents
The City of St. John’s, in partnership with the MMSB and MUN Botanical Garden, are offering free backyard composting information sessions to residents of St. John’s. You can purchase a standard compost bin for $50 or a tumbler bin for $75 (HST included).
These sessions are for St. John’s residents only. You can attend a free backyard composting information session without registering.
If you will be purchasing a bin after the session, cash will be the only method of payment. Receipts will be provided.
Benefits of making and using compost:
- Adds much needed nutrients to the soil.
- Allows for more air space in the soil, with a greater amount of microbes which means healthier soil for growing healthier plants.
- Reduces your use of fertilizers, and saves you money.
- Assists your soil in retaining water much longer, reducing the need to water as often.
- Dark soil absorbs more of the sun in the spring warming up the earth quicker and keeps it warmer longer in the fall.
- Reduces the amount of garbage you are sending to the landfill therefore extending its life.
Backyard Composting Sessions
Our last backyard composting session for 2017 was held on November 23rd. We will be announcing our 2018 schedule in early spring.
For more information on Backyard Composting please visit the MMSB website by clicking here or the MUN Botanical Garden website by clicking here.